Semtech, in its commitment to enhance user experience and streamline content, has successfully integrated the LoRa Developer Portal content into Semtech.com. As a result of this consolidation effort, the LoRa® Developer Portal will be discontinued on May 1st. After this date, you will be automatically redirected to Semtech.com.
For any technical support related to LoRa, please feel free to reach out to our experts here. If you have sales inquiries, please contact us here.
Knowledge Base
HOME » KNOWLEDGE BASE » FORUM

Antenna matching SX1272 / PA Boost Pin

Hello,

i am a german student, so first of all i am sorry for my following english.

I have to develop a LoRa transciever. Therefore i have chosen the SX1272 (868 MHz) with connection to the PA Boost Pin.

I have chosen the reference design with RF switch from your website.

The transciever works fine and i have communication between two of them. The programmed output power is 17 dBm.

Now i have problems the match the output circuit to the PA boost impedance, to get the best possible output power and to increase the reach.

First of all i have matched the antenna to the output pin from the RF switch (RFC). Therefore i removed the switch and put an U.FL adapter to the output pin for VNA measurement. I matched these part to 50 Ohm with a Pi network.

To match the complete circuit to the PA boost pin i have removed the SX1272 and put an U.FL Adapter to the PA Boost pin. I have not removed the RF switch, but connected it to power supply, to have a connection to the antenna part. With an 50 Ohm to 50 Ohm LP filter and the L matching network behind the LP filter i matched the complete circuit to 50 Ohm. Afterwards i converted the L network to an 2. harmonic filter.
SWR: 1,1 ; Return Loss: -25 dB with matched circuit from PA Boost Pin to Antenna, measured with VNA.

Then i measured the output power at the antenna with an spectrum analycer for comparison measurement (not exact).

The problem:

With the antenna matching at the antenna part and the LP filter ONLY (no matching network after LP filter, complete circuit is not matched to 50 Ohm) i measured significant more output power (8dBm) in comparison to the complete machted circuit to 50 Ohm with L matching after LP filter (0.8 dBm).

But i have no idea why. Normally it should be more output power at the full matched circuit.

Do i have to match the PA boost pin to another impedance then 50 Ohm ? Which?

Or is there another problem i am not aware of.

Thanks a lot for helping.